STORY OF MY LIFE: SLEEP IN ABUJA, WAKE UP IN LAGOS.


Dear Diary,

I am back to Lagos. For the long haul this time. I have mixed feelings about this. One part of me is screaming a big ‘’NOOOOOO, this shouldn’t have happened’’, the other part is saying, ‘’okay, not that bad’’.

Errrm, I cannot find the right words to describe how I feel. It’s a sleep in Abuja, wake up in Lagos thingy. To be fair, we were pre-informed. But we weren’t left with so much options to choose from. I think we had just two options. 1. Say yes and live happily ever after with them. 2. Say no and live happily ever after without them. I chose number 1, because the economic situation in this country wouldn’t even make you choose number 2 except there was a backup plan. So, I literally slept in Abuja and woke up in Lagos.

30-03-2017, we were reminded of our commitment to change base and we were to resume 03-04-2017. That is only a day interval (If you do not count the weekends). I had to pack up, book a flight, and make myself ready for the journey that will eventually change my life.

Oh, and I had my professional course/lectures already running in Abuja, so I needed to go there on Saturday before my departure and close that chapter of my life. At least, for now. I have written two courses and passed already, I needed to write these last two to become Chartered.

That Thursday night, I pack up a lot of my stuffs and I was seriously amazed at how much I had acquired within a short time in Abuja (girl problems). Next morning, I was up and running for lectures at 8am, bade my course mates farewell (we had bonded within the short period I stayed with them) made my hair in between and pack up my remaining belongings. Saturday happened so quickly and by Sunday morning, I was at Kaduna airport to catch the first flight to Lagos.

Let me digress a little.

Before now, I had not seen my MOTHER in 14 months and my immediate elder sister too, and so I urged to see them. Coming to Lagos was a good thing for this reason, and I longed for ‘’mummy’s food and care’’. She was also very happy to see me. I love my family. I love family.

Back to the real gist.

Monday morning, I was on the road to the office right from my sleep the night before. Ok, what I mean is that, I slept by 12am and woke up at 4:30am, had a bath, dressed up, and left the house before 5:30am. My sister had to see me off to the junction, so I don’t get robbed on my way. I had my bag strapped to my chest all the time and everybody that passed me on my way to the junction was a suspect. That’s Lagos for you oh, don’t blame me. I got to office some minutes before 8am. That is, 2 hours, 30 minutes after I left my house. Picture this, if I was travelling out of Abuja, I’ll have been in Kogi, Lokoja (another state) by 2 hours, 30 mins.

So, on my first day at work, I was already exhausted before work. I tried so much to be on top of my work for the day. Settling in at my new place of work wouldn’t take just a day, so I wasn’t even going to push myself so hard. Meeting my new colleagues was easy, we were already phone buddies whilst still in Abuja, so it was just a matter of placing a face to the name. At this point, let me not forget to tell you that I have the best colleagues in Fin Abuja and I couldn’t have had it anyway else. I received several calls from them and they were all concerned about how we were settling down in Lagos. May I quickly add that we had a brief send forth party that Friday before every one went their way, and it was emotional for all of us.

Going back home this day was CRAZZZZZZY. I left the office few minutes past 5 and I got home at 9pm. Worse than that morning. I was exhausted and pissed when I got home. Aside the trauma of sitting in traffic and being sandwiched between other persons, there was little or no adequate ventilation in the bus. So, we were all obviously not comfortable. For fear of being robbed or kidnapped, I had my eyes open all through the journey even though I wanted to sleep like others were. The commuting was a survival of the fittest, I wonder if I can drive on Lagos roads. ‘’Danfo’’ drivers were cussing and obviously ‘’tensioning’’ the smaller vehicles with their driving skills. As if all these were not exhausting enough, I got home to no light and a spoilt generator. I had to relax in heat once again.

I wanted to scream! Who have I offended? Why can’t I just live on the Island jejely and save myself the wahala? (my bank account balance will be giving me a side-eye now). During my ‘’trip’’ home, MJ was seriously panicking, calling, texting to know how/where I was. My mum, sister and brother were keeping up too. I felt like one star in a horror movie. My relocation had literally changed the lives of everyone around me. My sister in Abuja, my family in Lagos and MJ. And we all have this my new life to get used to.

Amazingly, I have high spirits about my relocation. It is for good, because God doesn’t make mistakes. The day I got my relocation letter, a huge part of me was indifferent and I only chose to see the BEST in it. Without sounding ungrateful though, this relocation is a blessing in disguise too, so I can’t complain. God is too good.

Before now, I have lived all my life in Lagos. But I still can’t understand how people live here. It’s too fast for my liking. And no, I beg to disagree that Lagosians are the only ones making this money. They are not. Let’s leave that argument for later, not today.

But, you got to love Lagos for the hustle spirit, the never-die spirit and the groove, however, Lagos is overpopulated and too stressful abeg, especially when you’re coming from the ‘’in life, there’s no rush’’ type of life. An Abuja life.

I hear some people are all about that fast life. Good luck with that.

On the flipside, I wish that my opinion about Lagos changes soon (it hasn’t changed since. Should I be hopeful for a miracle?). Definitely, I aint commuting from Ikotun to VI everyday forever, NA! I cannot! So I’ll soon be closer to work, have to deal with lesser traffic, fares will be cheaper and maybe, just maybe, light might be more constant. Huge relief.

Lagos people, the ‘’eko oni baje’’ people, the ones whose umbilical cords have been buried in the sands of Lagos, kindly let us know how your cope with your daily activities here. Maybe you can help my situation and give me some useful tips?

But I am here for all the fun Lagos has to offer! I’m so here for that! And that’s one of the things I look forward to. The Groove.

N.B – I wrote this article on the 04-04-17 on my first day at work in Lagos. It got missing somehow and I ranted on BBM how much it hurt me. But guess what? I found it today and my joy is restored.

An Update: I now live closer to work, there’s constant light and less fare to commute me to and fro. Isn’t God too good?

Mwah,

Your new Lagos babe.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OF COMMITMENT AND STUPIDITY

KNOW YOUR PLACE!!!

HAPPY 1ST ANNIVERSARY BARBY'S DIARY!!! + THE BIG GIVEAWAY IS ON...