MY PREGNANCY JOURNEY - WHAT'S IN MY HOSPITAL BAG?


This pregnancy has made me consider many times, the need to have a vlog. I feel like I should be talking to you guys more, especially about this journey, more than I write to you about it. There’s a lot to discuss, and if I were to write about EVERYTHING, I’ll possibly still be writing about this journey when I get pregnant a second time (just kidding!).

Ok, so today, let’s talk about what should be in a hospital bag. It’s a pregnancy series, so you know I am talking about a maternity bag basically.

First things first, please TAKE NOTE (I just had to have that in caps) that you should start packing your maternity bag from the day you find out you are pregnant. I am not exaggerating. Stay woke! There are so many advantages to this; aside from the fact that it keeps you prepared at all times because you do not know when baby will pop out, it also gives you a long time to buy your needs little by little without breaking the bank. Don’t be like me please…we waited till we were 34 weeks before we bought even a mitten! We really did plan to buy our stuff early, but it was either the budget was not adequate, or the timing was not right or some other funny flimsy reasons. At eight months and when time still didn’t seem enough to make a weekend shopping plan, we agreed to have my mum and big sister do the shopping and we sent them a list.

So, I had three lists; the hospital list (basically, the essentials needed by the doctors and midwife for delivery and immediately after), the baby’s list (baby’s essentials at delivery and for the few day(s) you may likely be at the hospital), mum’s list (your necessaries during the entire period).

The hospital list was not made by me, I got that from the hospital I registered with. Not every mum-to-be gets this. If you are under any HMO, it’s likely you are already covered for this, and there will be no need for you to bother your head about your delivery essentials. But, like me, if your birthing is self-funded, you BUY everything yourself. This is more expensive. Let me quickly state that I was on a medical plan but some hitches here and there didn’t allow me utilise my ‘’entitlements’’. So we self-funded...

The other two lists were made by me with additional inputs here and there from my mum. I had never had a baby before, so we had to get EVERYTHING from A-Z. Truthfully, having a baby is not for kids. Let’s not talk about the finances that goes into it.

Before I get too carried away with my side gist, please find below the content of each list…

My hospital list:

1.    Coconut Oil
2.    Valon lotion
3.    Methylated Spirit
4.    Disposable pads
5.    Surgical gloves
6.    Elbow length gloves
7.    Mackintosh
8.    China white cloth
9.    Disposable pants
1.  Shea butter
1.  Underlay
1.  Cotton wool etc.

I kinda think there’s no need explaining each of them to you and then again, they are for the hospital’s use for you, so it's not your headache though. Besides, hospital lists may vary from hospital to hospital. I recall that my sister’s hospital does not request for a hospital list, they basically provide everything and charge their fee. Some might ask you to bring some and provide the rest, just be informed beforehand on what the procedure in your hospital is like, so you do not act in ignorance or get stranded on the day of delivery or buy items you do not need.

Baby’s List:

Nobody really decides what you MUST bring to the hospital for your baby. I want to believe the reason is because all fingers are not equal, so every parent can do as they please. While some will go overboard and buy all the designers baby items of this world, some mothers can only afford ‘’okrika’’ and that is fine also. What’s important at this point is to get your baby out of the oven, safe and sound and in one piece. So here’s my list…

1.    4 onesies,4 bodysuits
2.    Diapers
3.    Baby bag
4.    Flask
5.    Bath essentials (Towel, soft sponge, baby soap, combs, lotions, oil, Vaseline, powder etc)
6.    Night wears
7.    Head wraps, mittens and socks
8.    Handkerchiefs and bips and burp covers
9.    Blanket and shawls
1.  Baby bed and net
1.  Inner wears (singlets, shorts) etc.

Let’s highlight a few of these above. Before we go on, please note that this list applies to ONE baby. If you are having twins or triplets or quadruplets, kindly readjust your list. The onesies and bodysuits are basically your child’s clothes throughout your stay at the hospital, so it’s advisable you have a few of them especially if you do not know how long you might stay in the hospital. I advise you also have them in different sizes, in case you’re having a big baby or a pretty small baby. Also advisable (if you do not know the sex) is that you buy your baby’s clothes unisex, so for example, you do not buy a lot of pinks for a baby boy.
Diapers -  my advice on diapers is to buy just a few. I hear that some babies react to a certain brand, so imagine having 100 diapers you cannot use for your baby because he/she developed rashes from it. It’ll be a complete waste of money. Buy a few (in say 2 different sizes) that’ll serve you for a week tops. You may decide to go on with a particular brand after this or maintain the status quo.
Same goes for bath essentials. Try a brand, if your baby’s skin loves it, stick to it. Mild is okay please. Your baby does not need bleaching cream at this time (or any other time either). Nor does he or she need perfumes or any fragnance and the likes.
Blankets and shawls, head wraps, mittens and socks are basically to keep the baby warm the entire time.
Some hospitals already have a baby bed for each new mum. It’s safe to take one along in case there’s none for your baby at the hospital. The advantage of this is, you have a net covering your baby rather than having him/her in the open there.
Flasks are always essential for this trip. You’ll need hot water safely stored somewhere for your use. Never a bad idea.
A baby car seat. VERY IMPORTANT.

Mum’s list:

1.    Extra disposable pads/pants
2.    Wrappers
3.    Change of clothes
4.    Bath essentials
5.    Night wears
6.    Under wears
7.    Maternity dresses
8.    Nursing bras/breast pads
9.    Flip flops/Socks
1.  Make up and beauty products (for the slayqueens them)
. . Some electronics; phone chargers, bluetooth speakers and good music, snacks and gums etc.

Although, you already have number 1 in your hospital list, it is always a good idea to have extras. Just in case. Your hospital wears should be light and free. Comfort is key here, you don’t want your baby crying and you are struggling to whip out boobs from your tight top. Easy does it. I also suggest clothes in dark shades. This is because, you might still be having some discharges here and there, and have visitors coming in to greet you and baby. You do not want them to see blood stains all over you, the sight can be disgusting. Dark shades clothes keep all of your business hidden for a short while, but please make sure to have regular baths or clean-ups to avoid bad odour in the room.
Bath essentials for your bathroom sessions and wrappers for covering yourself too. Under wears should be in your bag too, and nursing bras also.

HOW TO PACK YOUR HOSPITAL BAG:

These are extra tips, so I’m supposed to charge you for it!

The three lists mentioned above should be packed in separate bags. May be nice to label them also because you might not be the one handling them when the time is due. So for easy reference, tag each bag and set aside.

The hospital bag can be packed anyhow you deem fit. Just make sure anything you were asked to bring along is in there. You don’t want to put your husband or mum or friend in jeopardy running up and down to get your outstanding items.

For the baby, it is advisable the first clothes he/she will wear after delivery and wash up are at the top of bag and easily accessible. Others can be arranged neatly after these ones. It’s good you label each item so anyone who can read and has access to the bag can bring them out as they are needed. You may be sleeping or be in another room and you do not want any disturbance or anyone coming hundred times to ask where you kept the baby’s socks or towel in the bag. The baby’s clothes back to the house should be well under as that’ll be the last thing you will need from the bag. P.S – My mum bought an all-white outfit specially for my baby’s homecoming, so I put everything in a transparent bag, tagged it as such and placed it at the bottom of my baby bag.

Same goes for your own bag. First change of clothes should be up in the bag and same for bath essentials. While the clothes you have chosen to wear home after delivery can well be tucked under in the bag.

Lastly and most importantly, please ensure that whoever you have agreed with to take you to the hospital on your due date KNOWS where the bags are in your house. All these will be in vain if you all are in panic mode, race to the hospital only to find out that your bags are still at home. As an advice, once your due date is near, kindly put your hospital cards, ATM and bags in your car or at the nearest place so it is accessible at one swipe of your finger.

I think I have been able to provide some good advice anyone can relate to. Kindly add yours.

At the time of writing this piece, I hadn’t had my baby oh. I only read a lot and surfed the net and attended ante-natal classes. I may do a sequel to this article if anything changes after I put-to-bed or if I didn’t need any of these items or if I omitted something. More like a review of this post to explain what I used, what I didn’t use, what was totally unnecessary and what I forgot to buy (I know I wasn’t a perfect packer, forget all my many grammar).

Remember, this pregnancy series is to share my journey with you. My victories and mistakes alike. So keep reading and also share your experiences…

I'll write you soon again!
Barby


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OF COMMITMENT AND STUPIDITY

KNOW YOUR PLACE!!!

EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING ON A TIGHT SCHEDULE!