ARNOLD AYCEE: REAL MEN DON'T HIT WOMEN


 


Hi people, my name is Arnold.

 

Whatever you read from this article is all true. I at most modified the scenarios to the stories but the events were real and exact. The opinions I air are mine and you mustn’t agree with it so please do not see it as a cause to throw insults at me. Not that it will matter but I thought I put it out there, and if you have a contrary view to mine, please share and let’s logically reason it out.



With my headphones in my ears and my mind set to finish the novel before tomorrow, I lay in my bed perusing this Sarah Wilson’s prose. I couldn’t care less if anyone was knocking at my door and I wasn’t hearing him/her, for all I cared; the person should have called first and as long as he/she did not call, I wasn’t expecting anybody. Amidst the heavy sound of the afro pop song playing on my headphones I still heard a mighty thump from above me. Once I looked up I could see that my ceiling fan, which was immobile thanks to the absence of electricity, was swinging from side to side from the effect of the thump from above me. I had felt the vibration of that thump on the wall I was leaning my back on as I sat on my bed trying to read. I pulled my headphones off in less than a second and all my sense rose to understand what was happening. That was when I heard the continuous scuttles from above me and the cry of the woman. It had to be my neighbours who lived on the floor above me. A few more seconds of attention to the cry convinced me, it was her. I dashed to my entrance veranda to listen some more, the other neighbours were out too; apparently I wasn’t the only one hearing this. The scream became heavier, their baby was crying and the man was yelling back at her as he struck her, at least so it seemed. A few of us dashed to their apartment which was left ajar and there he was, husband standing at about six feet four inches give or take and should weigh nothing less than say ninety five and above kilograms, sitting over his wife; who should be no more than five feet nine inches tall, slender and her weight would not be over seventy five to eighty kilograms, and repeatedly slapping her face with both hands swing one after the other at the braced up lady on the floor. It took three of us, young men to raise him up from her so that two ladies would raise her and nurture her. Her face evidently bruised, cuts on her arms and she was bleeding from her nose and a cut over her right eye. One of the dining chairs lay broken at the corner of the room and their rechargeable fan in shatters at another corner of the house. He escaped from our grip twice and dashed at her to hit her some more so once we caught and took him off the third time we just took him out of the house. He would not stop barking words of insult and demeaning statements at her, spitting and cursing the day he met her. Their baby was crying through all of this. I imagined that it was size of a man that had come down that heavily on that size of the woman to cause that thump heavy enough to quake our side of the building. My thoughts? It was thoroughly unfair no matter what she had done.

 

Some time ago I saw a picture that said; Real men don’t hit women, pussies and cowards do.

 


If I could add, I’d say foolish pussies and foolish cowards do.

 

Looking at my neighbours I wondered what could drive a man into hitting a woman and I couldn’t figure out a good enough reason. Some of my married friends say to me “Arnold you’d not understand till you actually live with a woman in the same house and have to stand all her excesses day in day out” while some unmarried but quite way older ones say it’s inevitable. I disagree.

 

Maybe it’s the promise I made my mom that is driving me though. I was 15yrs old, in ss2, when I came home that afternoon. My dad scuttled out of the front door evidently ruffled, I greeted him but he won’t answer, he just swung past me and out of the compound, I had seen his scene too many times to wonder what had just happened. I just walked into the house and saw my mom lying all curled up in the middle of the living room. She immediately stopped crying out once I entered the room, she possibly didn’t want me to know she was crying, but I already knew. I just threw my bag on the floor lay as curled up as she was beside her.

“Promise me” she said “promise me you would never hit you wife at any point in time in your life, no matter what she must have done.”

I promised I would never hit any woman ever. From that day till now I have never hit any woman. I used to have these silly fights with my elder and immediate younger sisters back then (which I suppose is quite normal as siblings fight every now and then and as an only son it was just my sisters I had to fight), but from then on till now I have never even thought about conceiving the idea of hitting any woman since. The worst it has been was back then in the university, but the intention was not to hit.

 

Jide was my friend at the university, with muscles like a wrestler and the strength of an ox. Once upon a time in one of my relationships from the university, a certain annoying scenario propped up between me and the girl I was dating as at that time. Some friend of mine had spread a story about her and she was certain since it was my friend telling the story, it had to be what I was propagating as well. Her way of dealing with the situation was to arrange for me to be beaten and dealt with by some boys in town. I soon heard of it when it didn’t work out thanks to one of my many lucky streaks, I approached her about it and she blew up in my face in public and called me names and said the most demeaning things to me, the worst anyone outside my dad has ever said to me ever, and I’ve been told many terrible things in this my life. Her words made me regret many things and once my temper, which is quite terrible by the way, started to boil, I just did as I always do, walk away. Jide was with me and he was encouraging me to walk away like I was doing. She then threw the worst jab at me and no matter how farther away from her I had gone she made sure I heard it.  I was quite a known person on campus as at then so having her continuously saying those offensive words kicked me in the guts and I turned around and dashed towards her, my intension I swear was to scare her. But Jide in the wealth of his dominance of size as against mine pulled me back with just one arm. His words;

“No man. Don’t Ace, you’d hate yourself if you do. Trust me, nothing is worth striking a woman for man”

My surprise was that this was the same person I had seen over and over again beat his girlfriend down and fight with him in public even to the point of  having his clothes ripped off his back. That totally convinced me that there’s never enough reason to hit a woman.

 

I guess the underlying reason for all these I’ve been writing today is this; men should desist from hitting women. Be that woman your sister, cousin, friend, neighbour, girlfriend, wife, whatever. Back in the days, when a man had a problem with a woman, he took it up with her husband or father or brother because it was not appropriate to pick a bone with a woman as a man; made one seem weak or petty. But that’s not the trend these days. Most men see an opportunity to hit a woman as an avenue to vent all the troubles of their lives on the woman. Say no to hitting women, so no to domestic violence #RealMenDontHitWomen

 

 

Arnold Aycee

📷/🐦 @arnoldaycee

📧 arnoldayceee@gmail.com

👑 ♠
 



 

Comments

  1. Hi Guys, this is a guest post by a friend and senior colleague of mine. He FINALLY decided to honor us by writing this amazing piece. I have waited ages for an article from him, when I least expected, he called me and mailed me the post. This is an unadulterated version of what he sent me. I was also careful enough not to do an introduction at the beginning of the post, I wanted the post to be just the way he sent it. I enjoyed reading it, I have read over and over again. I hope you enjoyed it too?
    It's good to know men out there can stand against violence done to women. I have written an article on domestic violence, but I still believe there is more to be said and done to curb this trend in the society. I'll never get tired of posting people's view and opinion as regards violence against women.
    Hi Arnold, thanks dear for your time, you don't have an idea how much I appreciate this. We hope to receive more timeless piece from you. God bless.
    Finally, I advice that we should all ''be what we preach''.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring me here. Hopefully you would feature me a couple of times more. Lols

      Delete
  2. Hmmmmmm....i njoyed d write up, d flow nd d part where d writer had to give an instance of his folks almst got me teared up...That bn said, violence against women is bad in every sense, although some women shaaaaa...I wish d writer cn say somtyn abt wat led to d couple's fight. Anyways, i wish d man had walked away...Finally, if u hit ur woman at any given opportunity, pls change...if u hv nt, pls dnt strt. Lets love women even in deir terrible moments, let d love mk u walk away...Nice 1 ACE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, let the love make you walk away...

      Delete
    2. But of course she must have done something wrong. In this case she told her husband that she didn't buy their car for his personal use only and she did that to the hearing of the neighbours and that was embarrassing and insulting he says. It's not about what she did for me, it's if its worth it. Is anything actually worth it. There are other ways of correcting people I should believe, we should explore those more I propose.

      Delete
  3. Nice one Arnold. I am proud to say I have never hit a woman since I was 14. I am not being self righteous, but for Gods sake, only cowards do. But to be honest, some of these ladies actually can bring the lion out of the calmest of lambs. Whenever any woman makes me feel that way, I remember my numerous sisters and imagine what I would do to a man that dares raise a finger on them. Shoutout to all the beautiful ladies I ve ever dated for not really giving me reasons to raise my finger on you. Jahbless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you haven't hit a lady b4. I must admit, women can be a handful sometimes, but, two wrongs never make a right.

      Delete
    2. Pee I can't rule out the impossibility of some females. I've experienced a few and I know how unbecoming many can be. But what makes us better people is the ability to be the bigger person. I'm proud of you man. Lets try to keep it up

      Delete
  4. Frm wat d writer said d lady did, d hussy is really frustrated, probably feeling inferior nd mayb strtd havin trust issues...Its wa. Anyways, he shud hv tried harder to control his temper bcos d moment u hit ur lady,d world forgets whatever sh may hv done, some of these women dnt really help men to control their tempers...I am sure he is regretting his actions nw, God will c dem tru... Pls dnt cal d man a coward, we were nt in his shoes, nd from my lil experience in life, its easier nd sweeter to condemn pple. We should all pray to God for self control and more imprtntly for good partners...not d type dt wil remind u dey bought d car or paid d rent nd certainly nt d type dt wil hit deir wives at d slightest provocation...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The easiest thing to do in life is point fingers. I actually publish things like this so in future my words and stance right now will caution and guide me at least so I won't look like a hypocrite. Lols and yes we must pray 🙏 for amazing partners that will bring out the best of us as against the worst in us. But I don't feel bad about calling him a coward; its what he is. A bully too. Lols.... And no, he's not regretting it. He said he wanted to kill her so he'd see what her family will do, that irked me the fvck out like "this dude is just unbelievable". It's not their first fight and its not the first time he's thrown words like that about. His family is backing him on this one, they always do. I have long stopped listening to the gossips in the compound but sometimes you can't help it when a neighbour brings it to your house to sample your opinion 😁

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't want to sound gender-sensitive, but I'll try to give my 2 cents on this issue, again. From all I've read, the guys are making it sound like women are always the cause of whatever beatings they receive, so I have to stand for my fellow ladies. Haven't you heard of men that beat their women for their own faults? Like, they come back home drunk and start pounding on their wives, or, they beat her for even the children's mistakes? Haven't we heard of such instances??? Are we saying that every time a lady is beaten, it's bcos she couldn't control her tongue or she did something? It is not always the woman's fault. Men need to get their acts together also. Men can be a pain in the neck too for women. You don't hear of women attacking men because we probably aren't equal to them in strength. Most times, what we do when we have had enough with the men is to walk away or stay back in pains. We're the ones that always have to take "sorry" as enough satisfaction for whatever wrong was done to us by the man. But if it were the other way round, sorry isn't ok for them, we have to pay for our "sins"; most times through beatings, shouts and all.
      Just like someone said earlier, self control is a key to solving this issue, both for the men and the women. It's very difficult and it takes a lot of discipline to keep quiet or walk out when someone is getting on your nerves, it is very very difficult especially when you think you are right and the other person don't just get it. One person just has to act the fool for the other person. One person just has to do so. No rule says its d lady's job, men can also.

      Delete
    3. I couldn't agree more Barby. I don't care what a man's reason may be; walk away. You look better and get more respect when you do that. Very few cowardly women beaters may call you weak, but a world of sane humans will hail your sensibility and bravery and more than anything else, you'd feel better as a person. If you don't, you're disturbed.

      Delete
  5. Hmm....i don't c any reason 2 hit a gal really. Even though I avent gotten 2 d stage 2 tell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'd never see a reason to. Its a thing of shame in my books, its never worth it

      Delete
  6. Arnold nice one! No matter what a woman does,no real man should hit her,whether men like it or not women have verbal power,that was why God created their partners to listen,women are emotional beings while men are logical beings,so when women go all emotional and verbal with their attitude,real mean should be logical enough to listen or walk away! Shikena!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arnold nice one! No matter what a woman does,no real man should hit her,whether men like it or not women have verbal power,that was why God created their partners to listen,women are emotional beings while men are logical beings,so when women go all emotional and verbal with their attitude,real mean should be logical enough to listen or walk away! Shikena!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally read this late, my bad.. but i must say this a wonderfulyl put together piece and personal experiences makes one relate to it well. I cant help but comment even though everyone has gone past the post and maybe not get to read it.
    Women are created from all the features of other creations as had been said several times. Inconsistent like weather, annoying like mosquitoes, gentility of a dove, wickedness of a leopard and melody of the macbee to mention but a few.. i hope most people can relate to this. Man neither wanted to stay with her nor want to stay alone, then God told man to learn how to stay with her no matter how inconsistent she may get.
    I personally see no reason to hit a woman even in self defence where you can just get the weapon (if any) from her, there are several ways to punish a woman and make her realise her mistakes n faults away from hitting or beating her. I have actually slapped a gurl once in Ss1 and she was in Ss3 then which i later regretted not only becos of the beatings i received in the hostel buh also later finding out she was my Cousin after School.. i felt stupid.
    No matter how crazy your temperament it, learn to channel it away from hitting a woman even away from hurting yourself by fighting anyone sef. Ezeun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi Dear, do visit us again.
Barby.

Popular posts from this blog

OF COMMITMENT AND STUPIDITY

KNOW YOUR PLACE!!!

HAPPY 1ST ANNIVERSARY BARBY'S DIARY!!! + THE BIG GIVEAWAY IS ON...